Friday, March 11, 2011

Orange Rye IPA Tasting and Pour

I got a chance to give the Orange Rye IPA a proper tasting. While this beer is young, word has it that it is best fresh, so here we go:

The Pour:



Nice Orange/Copper, it does remind me of the trees in the fall. A nice two finger head on the pour.

The Nose starts with some simcoe fruitiness but then you can really pick up the citrus from the centennial and the orange peel. It also has a slightly sweet aroma, think candy and caramel, and a nice bready undertone from the rye

The mouthfeel is full, the fullest mouthfeel of any of the beer that I have brewed. Carbonation is spot on. The taste is Bitter/sweet, Assertive on the sides of the tongue but also a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. The centennials @ 60 was a really with the simcoe FWH. It is smoothly bitter and it lingers and coats the mouth. The later hop editions shine.

A c-hop resin finish with some lingering bread y spice from the rye and a hint if alcohol.

Over all I am very pleased with this beer. I would mash lower next time and maybe try hops that are near the same ibu level but are a little less potent, maybe something of the traditional english IPA. I do think that with another week or two of aging, this beer will be even better as it smooths out. Keep an eye out and I will try to write a review of it then.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin what was your recipe for this one? -- Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grant,

    The recipe for the beer is two posts below. I know that you are a white labs guy and I think that WLP001 would work quite well, I also think that the WLP051 would work alright with this beer as well, if I brewed it again I would use Wyeast Denny's favorite 50 WY1450.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic beer. Almost as good as your Homegrown IPA....urrrr....Biere De Garde!? Seriously though, this Orange Rye IPA is amazingly citrusy and easy to drink! The clarity is amazing! Good job Kev!

    ReplyDelete