Friday, May 7, 2010

Fercious Update

Airlock activity has greatly slowed, and I have raised the fermentation temp a few degrees.  Fermentation strated at around 62-63 ambient air temp and yesterday I raised it to 63-64. This weekend I plan on taking a gravity reading to see where fermentation is at. If the gravity is close to the expected FG then I will rack into secondary (5 gallon Better Bottle) and dry hop for 7 days. After reading lots of brew forums and getting some advice from other sources it may seem like I am rushing a bit. There is tons of controversy amongst home brewers over the racking to secondary and when to do it and do the risks outweigh the benefits. Well, I am just going to listen to my hydrogmeter and see what it tells me. If I am close then I am going to rack, if not I will give it a little bit more time in primary. I am a little impatient as this is the first batch of beer all on my own, but I am just going to see what the batch tells me and go with it. Expect more updates and pics if time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment