Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Biscuit Malt

In the homegrown IPA I used a pound of biscuit malt. I like malty beers and figured that a pound of biscuit and a pound of Munich 10 would add some really nice malt complexity. I did a lot of reading and the line with biscuit seems to be do not use for more that 10% of the grist. I ended up using it at 6% of the grist and I feel like that is WAY too much. I kind of knew that I was high on the biscuit but I figured that it never hurt to experiment so off I went. Now the problem here is two fold, one is that I did not get the bitterness from the homegrown hops that I wanted that would have balanced it out and two is that I just plain used too much of it. I will be bottling this beer hopefully this weekend so that I can let it sit for awhile before I start ripping into it. All of the samples that I have tasted are just different, the biscuit stands out way too much and it threw the beer out of balance in my opinion. I am curious how this will taste after it has been aged for some time. I am really interested to see how this tastes in say January/February after 3-4 months in the bottle. If you are looking for a flavor reference for biscuit malt think fat tire, you know that really nice maltyness that you get in that beer, the flavor that kind of stands out, I am not sure that it is biscuit malt in that, but that is the flavor that I have picked up in my beer, and it is dominate! I will update you and let you know how the tasting goes and we will see if this is a beer that I will never ever brew again, of if it is a beer where I can stand it and like it as a change of pace and a beer to lay down for a while. Only time will tell! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment