Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Brewclub Single Hop IPA



My contribution to the great hops experiment is in the fermenter. I did the simcoe edition. Here is the grist:

10 lbs Rhar 2 row
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb crystal 60
.5 lb cara-pils

Hop schedule (All Simcoe Hops)
.75 oz @ 60
1 oz @ 20
1 oz @ 10
2 oz @ 1
2 oz Dry Hop for 7-14 days

OG 1.056

Brew day went smooth, mashed at 152 for 1 hour, sparged 167 for 30 min. I did a much better job hitting my temps with this brew so I am excited about that.  I also had some efficiency gains taboot. I got 6.75 gallons of wort, all of the simcoes in the boil at the right times, and I also got my wort really nice and chilled down and fast, I guess that is the one advantage to MN in the winter! Got it cooled down to 68 in 20 min and pitched my starter of 1056. I pitched around 5 and there is slow activity now @ 9:20 and the fermenter is 66 degrees. Looks like it will be right on track. Also a big shout out to SWMBO for the time!! Check back for the latest on the Nordeast Brew Clubs single hop experiment.

3 comments:

  1. Yo man, what was your efficiency at? Mine is fermenting nicely upstairs and it looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I re-ran the numbers and my effciency was 76%! Went up 6 points from my last brew and 10 from the one before that. There were only three things that were different this time, one was I added water to pre-heat the tun and then put the grain in at a higher temp than I usually would and stirred the s$it out of it for about 10 min until the temp came down to 153. I think the extra stirring helped a bunch, the other thing that was different this time was the sparge temp, I actually hit my temp spot on and I stirred the s$it out of that as well. The thirs is that I adjusted my flow and slowed it WAY down, took much more time lautering and soarging, but judging by my numbers, it helped a TON.

    ReplyDelete