Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA Review

I picked up a Sam's sampler that I had while up north over the 4th.  I remembered having a new IPA called Latitude 48.  I decided to buy the sampler again since Sam's is a pretty decent beer and I really wanted to try this IPA again.  Here goes the review with pics:



Pour:  Nice amber/copper pour with a nice two and a half finger head. Medium carbonation.

Aroma:  A hint of malty sweetness with some nice hop notes.  Not an overly hoppy smell but really nice hop aroma, a little grass and citrus.

Taste:  A nice malt backbone with a hint of sweetness, then the hops come and it is a nice bitterness but not super hoppy.  If you are a hop head you will be somewhat disappointed, but this is defiantly got a nice hop kick, just not overwhelming.  The finish is kinda sweet/tart and is a little odd, but it kept drawing me back for more so that is a good thing. 

The head retention on this beer is fantastic, the lacing was great as well, here are some shots of that:





My over all impression is that this a a good IPA, not great.  It is balanced very nicely and in the east coast style.  This is not a beer to avoid, but also not a beer to go out of the way for.  I would definitely suggest grabbing one if you have to opportunity, but don't go searching high and low for it.  On an A to F scale I would give this beer a B+/A-.  On a side note, I tried a bomber of Languita's Hop Stoopid.  Reading the bottle I was intrigued, mostly hopped with Hop Extract, it was certainly bitter and hop forward @ 102 IBU's but the malt base was weak and this really hurt it.  At 8% ABV it was easy to drink but it did not leave me coming back from more.  Cheers and here's to good beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment