Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homegrown Magnum Hops!

UPDATE to the UPDATE:
The hops are finally weighed and I came in with 12oz of homegrown magnum hops! That should keep me busy for a while, I still have more to pick but I am guessing that I have about another ounce on the bine. My cascades are starting to mature and as long as we don't get a freeze I think that I may have quite a few ounces of cascades to pick as well. Only mother nature can tell, but it looks like the weather might hold out long enough for me to get a nice bounty of fresh hops. I cannot believe how well these two plants did for the first year! Also as of 10/10 my cascades are maturing and ready to be picked. I picked a first round on Saturday and I believe that I will get at least 5-7 ounces of cascades and I am only about 50% complete with the harvest. I think that I could quite possibly end up with a pound or more of the cascades. They went nuts and I will be picking them as long as the weather holds out, I am on the fast track but I am not sure if I will be able to get all of them off the bine in time...we shall see!  Cheers!!


UPDATE:
I have finished picking the magnums and with the second pick I got another bag full like you see below. I am estimating that the dried weight of these hops is around 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound! Cannot wait to see how these do next year! I showed them to Dank Brewer and he was the one who estimated the weight of the hops, once I get them weighed I will let you know the exact amount that I ended up with. Also I would like to congratulate Dank Brewer and his wife on the birth of their son which is their first child, life is about to get a lot more interesting for them and I wish them nothing but the best and I am glad that baby, mom and dad are all doing well! Cheers!

The first pick of my Magnum hops are dried! I will need to weigh them but this is what I have so far. I want to package them in usable weights so I am waiting on the vacuum sealer until I can weigh them out. I have at least another batch of this size on the bine and maybe more, I have at least twice this amount in cascades on the bine that will hopefully mature soon and hit the drying rack. I did not expect anywhere near this amount for first year bines so I must be doing something right! Here are some picks of the magnums.



1 comment: