Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fercious (Furious Clone) in the glass





I will update this post as Dank Brewer and myself will be doing a tasting of my furious extract clone and his all grain clone. I just wanted to give you an idea of how tasty this looks in the glass. Pours a nice reddish amber with a nice off white head. It is tasty but still needs a little age on it for the best flavor.

Tasting Update:

Well Dank Brewer and I had a bit too much fun with the tasting as we were tasting well into the night.  I lost my pics of the side-by-side comparison so I will get them from DB, but here is what I can piece together from the tasting.  First off, neither of our beers tasted like furious when compared at the same time, furious is so hoptastic and malty that it will take several go's to get close to it.  The interesting thing that we noted was that both of our beers had some tropical fruit overtones on the finish from the yeast.  We both pitched Wyeast 1335 British Ale smack packs.  That was very evident in both the all grain and extract clone.  To be honest, I didn't notice a ton of difference between the AG and EX version, the one thing that does stick out is that all or most of the extract beers have the LME twang, but it was not overly apparent.  The color of the extract was really close to the real thing, the all grain was close as well but a little lighter.  Dank brewers clone had some really nice malt flavor and the bitterness was there, the extract tasted less malty but also has the bitterness.  All in all, I think that both clones were tasty even if they were not spot on.  On an A to F scale I would rate Dank Brewers clone a B+ and my extract clone a B.  Cheers!

1 comment: