Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Popped the Top on the Cream Ale and...



I get impatient some times. Last night was one of those nights. I decided to open up one of the Cream Ales that I bottled last Saturday just to make sure that there was something going on in the bottles. As I said before, I also used a different priming agent this time and I was nervous that it would not work right. I grabbed a 12oz bottle and threw it in the fridge and let it sit for a while. I popped the top and got a nice, and unexpected, fizz of Co2. Wow, it is carbed, and not lightly. The beer tasted extremely green and needs to sit, which is no surprise. What was surprising was that it really didn't have a ton of hop character which I found disappointing since I was a little more aggressive with the hops for the style and I dry hopped it with a very healthy 3oz of hops (2oz cascade and 1oz centennial). The other thing that I am not sold on at this point is the American Ale 1056 wyeast. It is a little to neutral for me and there were no esters to be found. That is why people choose this yeast but it just isn't doing it for me at this point. I will make sure to lay a bottle down for a few months and then decide for certain at that point, but as of right now I am not overly excited with it. What I am excited with is the color of the beer is spot on, the Muttons KreamyX priming agent seems to work well, I will also give the final verdict on this later, but all in all a learning experience.  I personally would be more aggressive with the hops next time as there is only a faint hint of bitterness, but once this beer ages we will see how the flavors come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment