Monday, August 9, 2010

60 Quart Igloo Ice Cube Mash Tun

My mash tun is completed, tested and just about leak free. I was really surprised how easy it was and being that I can now do 5 AND 10 gallon mashes I am pretty excited. I already had the cooler that I bought for a party last year and used once, but I think that I paid somewhere around 22-25 dollars for it. The manifold and valve cost about $19.  Here is the parts list:

10' CPVC 1/2" pipe (I only used about 6 feet) - $2.50
1 1/2" Slip to Male CPVC Adaptor - .35
5 90 degree CPVC elbows - .27 each
3 CPVC Tee's .72 each
1 1/2" brass ball valve female to female - $7.00
1 1/2 mip to 3/8 barb fitting - $2.75
10' 3/8 ID tubing - $4.25
1 Hose gasket

I then measured and cut the pipe with a copper pipe cutter, fit it all together and used a coping saw to cut the slits into the manifold. I filled up the cooler the first time and I had a leak on the outside of the ball valve.  I replaced the gasket before the second run and it was just a drip or two, so that will do for me. One problem/concern that I have read about with these coolers is that it won't drain all of the water from the tun. Well in my 3 tests that most water I was left with was less that 1/2 cup so I am not worried. Here are some pic of the tun, let me know if you have any questions...all grain here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment