Friday, August 20, 2010

First All Grain Batch in the Fermenter!

UPDATE:
I am going to transfer from primary to secondary tonight as the brother in law and I are bottling the celebration stout. I took a gravity reading last night and it finished off at 1.008! Some great attenuation from the WL001!  I tasted the hydro sample and it tasted really really good, the bitterness is nice and the maltiness is nice as well, I am super excited to try this. Only about 3-4 more weeks and this beer will be in the belly and I cannot wait! I will update the post with some pics when the racking is completed.

Sweetworts first all grain batch is in the fermenter. I brewed an Amarillo American pale here is the bill:

10 Lbs domestic two row
8oz carapils
8oz crystal 60

Doughed in mashed at 152 for an hour, only lost one degree!
Collected a little over 2 gallons
Sparged with 5 gallons and collected 6.75 gallons of wort

1/2oz chinook first wort hop
1/2 chinook @ 60
1oz Amarillo @ 20
1oz amarillo @ 5
1oz amarillo @ flame out
1oz simcoe dry hop

I had a few issues but that is to be expected as this is the first go at all grain.  It took only 4 hours so it was not that bad.  My gravity was a little low at 1.048 but I am positive that had to do with my sparge, I used too much water and it was too hot as well so I sparged really fast and collected my first runnings a little too fast as well.  I also pitched a 1/2 gallon yeast starter of WL001! Here are some pics of the brew day!

Grain Bed


First runnings


The boil




Fermentation at 24 Hours


All in all it went well and I am happy, I cannot wait to taste this tasty beverage!  I will report back in about a month with the tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment